Friday, September 16, 2005

The Week Time Stopped

Before I get into the subject of this section a little background information is necessary. Nine years ago I decided I wanted to give some of my time and use skills I had learned to help others.
After dropping out of college at age 20 I drifted without much of a plan for my life for a couple of years. At that time I was living in a small town in Northern California. One day while walking along the street I noticed a land surveyor's office. Even though I didn't know anything about surveying I thought that would be an interesting job. So I walked into the office and was greeted by the land surveyor. He told me winter was coming and he didn't need anyone at that time, but if I would come back in the spring possibly he could hire me. I came back the next spring and was hired as a brush cutter for the survey crew. In a short time I realized I needed to spend time reading survey textbooks if I was going to learn. So I set aside at least one hour each night to study. During the day I asked a lot of questions. Also, I took evening and weekend college classes.
After three years I was a party chief running the field survey crew. In the winter I learned land planning and sub-division design. I also learned to read and write legal land descriptions. My job also involved surveying, designing and staking logging roads.
After six years of surveying I took a chance and went on my own as a logging and road building contractor. During my eight years in logging and road building there were many lessons to be learned including going broke; but that's another story. I did have many interesting experiences.
Those eight years lead me into 15 years of real estate development. Buying vacant parcels of land I was able to use the skills I had learned to layout, design and build large residential subdivisions and, with my business partner, build homes and commercial buildings.
So at age 50 I wanted to try to help others using some of the skills I had learned. A good friend of mine recommended I contact International Children's Care(ICC). ICC takes care of orphan children in poor third world countries. So I wrote them a letter listing my experiences and skills. I said I was looking for a part job. If they could use me I would go anywhere they wanted me to and I would pay my own airfare and expenses. They called me. They said they could really use a person with my experience.
Next, I traveled to their main office in Vancouver, Washington. At that time they had childrens' homes in about 10 countries and were wanting to expand. Their plan was to have me help select the site in the new countries, complete topographic surveys of the new sites and then layout the children homes, school (if needed), staff housing, church, office, water source, septic systems, roads etc.
My first trip took me to an existing project in Guatemala to see what their plan was and how if worked. This facility was a seven hour drive from Guatemala City. It wasn't the facility I remember so much as the children! Over 100 of them. Each with a very sad story. Children with no hope, but now with much hope. I was very excited about my new "job".
The second trip took me to Thailand, Burma and Bangladesh. More stories for later. The third trip to Africa. Kenya, Tanzania and Rwanda.
Then to India. ICC had been given funds to purchase land in India. The lady who was going to manage the children homes was already there and knew about where the land was she had negotiated to buy. My assignment was to review the land to be sure it was acceptable, have it surveyed, pay for it, go through the title transfer process, design the children home taking into consideration local customs, decide what materials to use, estimate the cost and try and find people to build it. Oh yes I left Australia on a Sunday and was only able to be there one week! Quite a challenge for an American who doesn't speak Hindi!
Now we come to the key negotiation points of this section: Purpose and Prayer The purpose was good and I prayed from the time Dave dropped me off at the airport in Sydney, Australia.
I was to change planes in Singapore. I only had two hours in Signapore until the next plane departed. No time to lose. I went to the gate in Sydney and guess what...Plane delayed one hour. We boarded the plane and we waited another hour. We took off two hours late! I prayed again. Lord this is Your mission, Your work. Its in Your hands. The pilot said he'd do what he could. We landed in Singapore 1 hour and 50 minutes late. When we landed there was an announcement: "When we are at the gate would Mr. Edgren please come to the front of the plane. Your connecting plane is waiting for you." The door opened. I ran. I got in the next plane and they closed the door. I set in my seat and took a deep breath. Then I thought, my luggage won't make it.
Arriving in Madras, India I thought I better go to the luggage area to report that my luggage was left behind. Something told me to go to the carousel and see anyway. As the luggage came off guess what? There came my luggage. First!
I spent the night in Madras. Next was the train ride to Hyderabad. ICC said they thought the trip was about 3-4 hours. Wrong 10 hours! There went Monday! Oh , by the way if you get the chance don't miss a long train ride in India. I promise you won't forget it. Now there was only 4 days to get all the work done.
A three hour drive from Hyderabad and I was there.
Tuesday I was anxious to get started. In case you have never worked in a third world country I'll tell you the spped at which things get done is very different than in western countries. The title could not be transferred until the land was "officially" surveyed. The surveyors were busy Tuesday. They could possibly make it on Wednesday or Thursday. I found out there had been no right of way negotiated for the property. So on Tuesday and Wednesday we negotiated. The Indian people have been negotiating long before us, they are very good at it! After two days we worked the right of way out. Thursday morning two men peddled up on bicycles. The surveyors! I went with them and learned more about surveying. This part of India was sand and the boundary was marked by big stones, just like mentioned in the Bible. Survey complete that afternoon we went to the court to transfer title. Only one day left.
I had noticed a builder building a house near the site. I stopped and talked to him and asked him if he would be interested in helping build an orphan home. He said he would be honored. On Friday He and I went over the plan I had drawn and he gave me an estimate of cost. I asked if he could start the next week. He said he could.
The week was over and it was done! I went to church and even though I couldn't understand a word that was said I knew God was there and had been with me every step all week.
Sunday I took the train back to Madras and flew back to Sydney.
It was nearly three years later when I was attending a meeting at ICC. They said, "Did you ever get to see a picture of the house you designed in India". I said, "No". They handed me the picture. The house was beautiful, only I didn't design it! The builder had probably decided these children should get a little extra. He gave it his all.
Purpose and Prayer. I will never forget that week in India.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home