Friday, June 24, 2005

Principle: Honesty

Many years ago I worked for a large long term health care company. They owned many long term care hospitals. Nearly 75% of the patients are government paid patients. Private pay patients pay a lot more to stay. So to improve the profitability you needed to increase the percentage of private pay patients.
The owner of the company would use many tactics to visit the competition to see how they could attract more private pay patients. There was an offer one time where you could send in $20 and become an official "Pastor". He did this and received his own personalized pin on name tag: Pastor_____. So in visiting the competition he wore a suit and his newly acquired name tag. His goal was to get inside the facility and ask questions to find out what they were doing to attract so many private pay patients. Upon entering and introducing himself the nurse said: "Oh Pastor we are so happy to have you visit. While you are here one of our patients, Mr. Jones, has been asking for a pastor to pray with him. Would you do that? Thank you. I'll take you to his room. Follow me. It's right this way".
In my efforts to find out how the competition attracted private pay patients I introduced myself as the vice president of our company (which I was) and said we were trying to take better care of our patients and wanted to attract more private pay patients so we could have the funds to do a better job. I then asked them if they would be willing to share with me what specifics they were doing. They were happy to share the special programs they were doing which included getting families involved, getting the community involved through activities like music, dramas, reading etc. They told me everything.
When I met with the owner of the company I was working with he was amazed with all the information I had found out. He said, "How did you get all this information?" I said I told the truth. Biblical principal: Honesty.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home